Safety is a personal concern, but one shared by a lot of people. High crash rates raise insurance costs for everyone. They also mean hundreds, even thousands, of other drivers are delayed every time there is a crash. Then, of course, there are the suffering and emotional trauma that ripples through families and circles of friends.
On average, every 7.8 years an Austin driver will be involved in a crash. Compare that with other major Texas cities’ rankings:
- El Paso: 76th, with an average of 9.7 years between accidents
- San Antonio: 141st, averaging 8.2 years between accidents
- Houston: 151st, going 8 years between accidents
- Austin: 155th, going 7.8 years between accidents
- Dallas: 170th, going 7.4 years between accidents
Based on 2013 research here is a comparison of your risk of a fatal crash by travel option:
“One might argue that transportation equipment, and in particular the motor vehicle, must be the most dangerous machines that we interact with on a daily basis,” the researcher states. “The annual toll in motor vehicle crashes exceeds the deaths resulting from the next most dangerous mechanical device, firearms, by about 40%.”
Help everyone get to work and home again safely, consider using transit more often and when you do drive here are some safe driving tips.