Thousands of people are expected to fill Austin streets starting tomorrow, March 8, for the SXSW festivities. Traffic will be even more congested than usual. Try carpooling, using the bus or train, and cycling to come into downtown. It will make your life more pleasant and traveling a bit easier for everyone else.
Once you get downtown, walking is the easiest way to get around, but there are a lot of other options as well. You can use transit, SXSW shuttles, car2go, zipcar, cabs and pedicabs, or ridesharing. Just have a game plan, even if it is only to download the right apps for good information.
- City Stage — (web) gives you access to info about road closures, air and ground transportation, etc.
- RideScout — (mobile app) gives you 24/7 access to all your options – ridesharing with friends, transit, cabs, car2go – all in one place. You just indicate where you want to go and voila you can see all of your options.
Want Specific Information?
- Street closures –-(web) use this interactive map to see which streets will be closed.
- Parking – (mobile app) if you are driving downtown download ParkMe to find parking availability 24/7.
- Traffic – want to know in real time where traffic is? Download Google Maps or Inrix which provides traffic estimates for an hour or further into the future.
- Bicycle route finder – can help you decide which streets to use for cycling or buy a copy of the Austin bike map at your favorite bike shop.
- Bus or Rail – Here is a web based trip planner or go mobile with easy to use Dadnab.